Unfortunately I injured my leg recently (2 weeks & counting) during a running session. My calf muscle was very tight & I’d had low level pain in my achilles tendon just above my heel leading up to the injury. Foolishly I ran through the pain, right to point where I could no longer run, or even walk. A kind neighbour was able to give me a lift home which saved me a lot of pain and time. Thank You!
I rested the leg for a few days and resumed exercise again with walking and cycling, but this thing will not settle down, I need to give it a much better chance to heal.
So this post is my search for a CV workout which avoids putting any load on an injured leg.
The world is still in lockdown due to covid-19, so I cannot head to the local pool for a swim, my usual recovery method to keep my CV fitness during injury.
I aim to be able to achieve a 30 minute workout as a minimum without over stressing a particular muscle group. The focus will be on CV not strength.
- Waterless swimming – thinking of lying on a cushion or chair and swimming !
- Seated shadow boxing, maybe with light weights
- Lying bicycle kicks
- Seated leg raises – can I rig up some weights if required ?
- Lying / seated scissor kicks
- Squats – will this stress the achilles or will this be a good stretch for it ?
- Seated 1 arm rowing with weights
Once I have tried this as a workout, I’ll post some feedback on which one seems a good / bad idea.
Feel free to drop a comment in if you’ve any ideas for more exercises.
Ok so here are my thoughts on these exercises so far after 1 session. 1st July 2020.
- Waterless swimming. Feels odd, and will look odd to anyone watching! Managed to find a long footstool to lie on, so my torso was supported. Did 3 minutes, breaststroke seemed to work better than freestyle.
- Seated shadow boxing. No weights yet. Did for 3 minutes and got the heart rate up.
- Lying bicycle kicks. 3 minutes needed to support my hips to stop strain on the lower back. Was tricky one for minutes.
- Seated leg raises. I did these sat on a chair with a scissor kick action. 3 minutes was ok.
- Did not do these. Too similar to 3 & 4
- Situps. Did 1 minute 10 secs then stopped. Ouch. Need more core work ..
- Push ups. Did 20 repetitions
- Squats. Managed 2 minutes. Good burn on the quads. Focussed on keeping my feet planted so as not to stress my Achilles.
- I actually did this standing with a 4kg kettlebell. Did 90 secs on each arm. Good burn on this one.